Document Collection

City and State excerpt March 16, 1899, p. 178


City and State, p. 178, March 16, 1899, 1899.45029

Hon. W.A. Jones, Commissioner of Indian Affairs, made the following statement in reply to a question form us as to what position the Indian Bureau takes regarding the Educational Home:

“In regard to my contemplated action before Congress looking to the prevention of an appropriation for the support of the Home, it is now too late to discuss. I appeared before the Committee of the House and did what I could to defeat - the appropriation, which was stricken out of the bill by the House Committee. When it was taken up by the Committee on Appropriations of the Senate, Senators Quay and Penrose, I understand, appeared before the Committee and represented matters to them in such shape that they concluded to have it reinstated. I was not asked by the Committee of the Senate to appear before them on the matter; but I called on Senator Allison, the Chairman, personally, and he gave me the assurance, or at least I understood it so, that the item should be stricken out. I told him at the time that I doubted whether the curse of the Senate, called Senatorial courtesy, would permit him to do so, but he stated that he did not care what any Senator said or asked of him, if he did not think it was right, he should oppose it; but I noticed, after all, that when the bill was passed, the item still remained.

“The appropriation has always been to the Lincoln Institute, and until this winter I did not know that there were two separate schools---one for boys and one for girls.

“I did not attempt to take any underhand advantage of the concern, but stated to the Committee on Appropriations my views as emphatically as I could, in the presence of Superintendent Given, and also General Bingham, who were at the time advocating the appropriation. I felt then, and do now, that the money was practically wasted so far as the school for the boys is concerned.”


Document History

  • Transcribed by HS 2025-08-06