Document Collection

William Morrison Photographs of Tredyffrin and Easttown Estates

William Morrison published his book The Main Line - Country Houses of Philadelphia’s Storied Suburb, in 2002. Thereafter he donated his negatives and prints from the project to the Radnor Historical Society. In 2013 the RHS donated just the prints for the Tredyffrin and Easttown locations to the TEHS. There are 65 photographs (with as many as six for some properties), documenting 22 estates. For information about this donation see the catalogue of the Special Collections.

This list was compiled from the data sheets accompanying the photographs. In several cases there is missing information such as original owner, architect, or date. The items marked with an asterisk denote properties for which Morrison secured a photograph and filled in a data sheet, but are not mentioned in his book. The information is as recorded by William Morrison and may no longer be accurate.

EASTTOWN TOWNSHIP

*Bjornhem, John S. Bioren, Owner
S. Waterloo Road, Devon
Stewardson/Page Architect, 1915

*Carstenstein, G. B. Wheeler Owner
Dorset Road
Demolished

*Clovelly, Henry Whelen, Owner
650 Clovelly Road, Devon
T. Roney Williamson, Architect, 1896

Crum Creek Farm, Charlton Yarnall, Owner
White Horse Road
Day Brothers / A. Klauder, Architect, 1914
Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 233.

Fairlawn, John Torrey Windrim, Owner
Fairfield and Sugartown Roads, Devon
John Torrey Windrim, Architect, 1902
Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 231.

*Fox Creek Farm, George Wharton Pepper, Owner
White Horse Road, Devon
Fox Creek Farm is mentioned on page 200 as the weekend retreat of George Wharton Pepper from 1907 to 1926, but it is not illustrated.

Grey Craig, James Whiting Patterson, Owner
680 Wetherby Drive, Devon,br. William L. Price, Architect, 1902
Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 231.

Happy Creek Farm, Charles C. Harrison, Owner
Darby-Paoli Road (straddles Easttown/Newtown Township lines)
Furness/Evans, Architect, ca. 1890
Demolished, 1960,br> Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 229.

*Happy Creek Farm, Harry W. Harrison, Owner
Church Road, Devon (barn and other buildings remain)
Duhring, Okie, Ziegler, Architect
Demolished, 1998

Hillhouse, George Wharton Pepper, Owner
2325 White Horse Road, Paoli
Tilden/Regester, Architect, 1926,br> This property is given a three-page spread in Morrison’s book, pp. 200-203.

*Langwell, Henry S. Jeaner, Owner
Church Road, Devon
(After the Morrison photographs were presented in the TEHS Quarterly, vol. 51, no. 2, several members sent messages stating that the house’s name was Laywell and the owner was Henry S, Jeans.)

Oatlands, C. Hartman Kuhn, Owner
550 Waterloo Road
Horace Trumbauer, Architect, 1904
Demolished
Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 231.

*Residence, Percy Wilson, Owner
501 S. Waterloo Road, Devon
Duhring, Okie, Ziegler, Architect, 1902

*Rockwood, (original owner not known; subsequent owner: Samuel Eckert)
Valley Forge Road, Devon
(The photograph in the file is of a barn or stable.)

*Residence, Rowland Lea, Owner
549 S. Waterloo Road, Devon
McIlvaine A. Roberts, Architect, ca. 1930

*West Acres, John Hampton Barnes, Owner
240 Sugartown Road, Devon
Wilson Eyre, Architect, 1902/1912

*Wynburne, C. N. Thorp, Owner
Old Lancaster Road, Devon-Berwyn
Culver and Rogers, Architect, 1886-87

TREDYFFRIN TOWNSHIP

*Residence, Charles Barton Keen, Owner
226 West Valley Road, Strafford
Charles Barton Keen, Architect, 1908-12

*Clonmel, Dr. Thomas G. Morton, Owner to 1908
Charles Baily after 1908
144 Old Eagle School Road
Albert W. Dilks, Architect, 1888

*Gramond, Daniel S. Newhall, Owner
95 Crestline Road, Strafford,br> McKim, Mead and White, Architect, 1886

*Residence, J. Howard Mecke, Owner
Old Eagle School Road, Strafford
1744/1927

Nawbeek, Alexander B. Coxe, Owner
Paoli
George Bispham Page, Architect, 1903
Photograph in William Morrison’s book, p. 227.
(After the Morrison photographs were presented in the TEHS Quarterly, vol. 51, no. 2, several members sent messages stating that the house’s name was Rock Hill Farm and the owner was Tristam Colket.)

Cheryl Leibold