Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Home : Tredyffrin History : Railroads : Main Line Use the links at left of the article to return.

Green Tree Track Section
UNDER DEVELOPMENT

March 4, 1873 Jurors to Assess Damages. – The Pennsylvania Central Railroad has been expending a large amount of money in straightening the line of their road at various points between Downingtown and the city of Philadelphia. Among the properties injured was that of Mr. Charles Still, at the Intersection, in Willistown township. When the parties fail to agree as to the amount of damages sustained, the law of 1849 provides that either party may petition the Court of Common Pleas of the proper county to appoint seven discreet and disinterested freeholders, neither of whom shall be residents or owners of property upon or adjoining the line of such railroad, and appoint a time not less than twenty nor more than thirty days thereafter for said viewer to meet on the premises, where the damages are alleged to be sustained, of which time and place ten days’ notice shall be given by the petitioner to the viewers and the other party. In this case, Judge Butler being a stockholder in the Pennsylvania Central Railroad, Sheriff Gill, in connection with the County Commissioners, appointed the following gentlemen as jurors, all of whom are residents of Berks county : … They will meet to view the premises on the 24th day of March.

American Republican (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

April 4, 1876 Pennsylvania Railroad Items – Mr. M Harris, of Malvern, has received the contract for removing the ballast from the present bed of the Pennsylvania Railroad to the new bed, which change has been brought about by the straightening of the track. His contract extends from Malvern Station to Duffy’s embankment. At Paoli, the work of straightening goes bravely on. The cut at that point, now being made, is 28 feet in depth, and Senator Lemens, of Carlisle, is the contractor. Over thirty carts are employed in the work.

Daily Local News (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

January 16, 1877 A Y at Malvern – In the course of the improvements on the Pennsylvania Railroad, in this county, we are glad to hear that Malvern is to be greatly benefitted. We are told that a Y is to be made at once at Malvern, and when completed, the accommodation trains to Philadelphia, which now make Paoli the starting and stopping point, will be changed to Malvern, thus affording connections with all the trains on the West Chester Road. This will be a convenience to hundreds, and will serve to bring Malvern into more prominence as a railroad centre. It is said the work of straightening the track at Green Tree is to be commenced in a few days, and in doing so the old hotel, now owned and kept by Ex-Sheriff Gill, will be sadly interfered with, perhaps totally demolished. It has long been one of the landmarks of middle Chester county.

Daily Local News (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

June 5, 1877 Along the Pennsylvania Railroad. Grading – The grading for straightening the track from Eagle to Green Tree, is nearly finished. In some places the track is already laid.

Daily Local News (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

October 16, 1877 … Near Reeseville, in Easttown township, many years since the town of “Glassly” was laid out, and lots sold bounded by certain streets, alleys. Etc. etc. The plot of this old town was not upon record, and the most thorough search in the Court House offices failed to find it. It was very important to have it, because some of these lots were to be purchased by the [PRR] Company. Mr. McFarland, after much inquiry, found it in the hands of a lady in the neighborhood and now has the plot of draft in his possession. “Mine host” John D. Evans, at the Paoli, will not or cannot agree with the company as to the worth of his land, and it looks now as if that station may be wiped out altogether and a station made near the old Black Bear property on Hugh J. Steen’s land and the “Y” removed to the Green Tree. The company tire of so much local hostility, and the fate of Parkesburg when the [railroad] shops were driven away from there may be that of the Paoli.

Daily Local News (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

1877 - PRR opens line relocation between Eagle and Green Tree and third track between Berwyn and Malvern on Philadelphia Division. See: PRR Chronology.

May 19, 1881 Improvements. - The Pennsylvania Railroad Company is at work at the Green Tree, in Willistown township, preparing for the widening of their road at that place.

Daily Local News (West Chester)

June 8, 1881 Trouble About a Bridge. – There is quite a commotion among the citizens at the Green Tree, in Willistown township, as to the exact spot where the bridge shall be placed over the railroad at that point. Davis Gill, Esq., claims that his contract when selling his property to the Pennsylvania Company, called for it to be placed at one point on his property, while other parties claim that they also made a contract for it to be placed to suit their properties. Mr. Gill appears to have the majority of the citizens with him, but how it will be settled is difficult to determine.

Daily Local News

Note: this was to be a below-grade bridge in railroading terms, i.e. an underpass.

June 23, 1881 The Pennsylvania Railroad Company are now engaged in building four tracks from Philadelphia to Malvern. The two on the south side of the road will be used exclusively for freight trains, and the two on the north side for passengers. This will necessitate the removal of some of the stations on the road, two of them being very fine ones – the one at Bryn Mawr and the other at Ardmore.

Daily Local News (West Chester)

August 3, 1881 Quarrying Stone for a Bridge – The Pennsylvania Railroad Company, is now engaged in quarrying out stone on the premises of Benjamin Bartholomew, East Whiteland, which will be used in building a bridge over the railroad at the Green Tree in Willistown township. The stone taken from this quarry are in fine large square blocks.

The Benjamin Bartholomew property was mainly in East Whiteland, but did extend into Willistown. Its eastern boundary was the township line with Tredyffrin. The property was purchased by Bartholomew in 1874 (see Chester County deed L8-307).

Daily Local News

August 24, 1881 Preparing to Build a Bridge. – The Pennsylvania Railroad Company has contracted with David Ryan for the building of a new bridge over the company’s railroad at the Green Tree, in Willistown township. Mr. Ryan is now hauling stone for its erection.

Daily Local News

September 30, 1881 The Green Tree Bridge. – Samuel Lemon, who has taken the contract to build the bridge over the railroad, at Green Tree, in Willistown township, has a force of about fifty men employed, and is pushing the work forward with great energy.

Daily Local News

Grading the Pennsylvania R. R. – Mr. Lemon, the contractor having in charge the grading of the new portion of the Pennsylvania Railroad at the Green Tree, in Willistown township, is progressing with the work finely. It is expected that he will have the work done and the road ballasted within the next ten days.

Daily Local News

November 17, 1881 Railroad Work – Samuel Lemon, the contractor, is pushing forward the grading of the Pennsylvania Railroad where it is being straightened at the Green Tree, in Willistown township, and expects to have the whole completed within a month. The Pennsylvania Railroad Company are hauling the dirt from the cut at Villa Nova and filling in at Wayne station. Samuel Lemon, who has the contract for building the bridge over the railroad at the Green Tree, in Willistown township, is now hauling stone for the bridge from Benjamin Bartholomew’s quarries in Tredyffrin.

Daily Local News (West Chester)

1882 – During this year the four-track system on the Philadelphia Division was extended from Merion to Villa Nova … and the grading was completed for an extension of the four-track system from … Paoli to Malvern [53].


Notes and References

  1. Maintenance of Way Report; Thirty-Sixth Annual Report, Pennsylvania Railroad Company, January 1, 1883.