Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Home : Tredyffrin History : Railroads : Main Line Use the links at left of the article to return.

Tracks - General

Two sets of historic plans are available. One is from 1851 and was developed by the distinguished engineer,

The second set was produced by the PRR in 1917. This shows the track alignment at the time as well as a historic tract alignment.


May 23, 1876 PUSHING AHEAD. – The work of straightening the Pennsylvania Railroad track through Chester county is progressing with much systematic speed, and will not require nearly the time that was thought of. This work of improvement at and about Thorndale goes forward with unceasing activity, and the scene is one which fairly portrays the go-aheadaivences of that world-renowned corporation.

Daily Local News,
Source: CCHS

July 31, 1876 The new road bed of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Downingtown is now completed except where the connections are being made with the old line. The workmen took advantage of absence of running trains on Sunday and completed the work by making the connections.

Daily Local News (West Chester)
Source: CCHS Clipping File

April 8, 1879
STRAIGHTENING THE P.R.R.
– Pennsylvania Railroad Company, we learn, are about commencing the straightening of their road from Glenloch to the tenant house of Dr. Thomas, near Oakland, a distance of three miles. The new line crosses the old track three times within that distance. One excellent feature about this alteration is that at Whiteland station the common road will run under the railroad. The crossing is a dangerous one: a train cannot possibly be seen below the station house by persons driving toward the latter from the upper side of the road. The engineers, after making numerous surveys, have finally decided to take the one made by W.H. Wilson, C.E., some fifteen years ago. The latter gentleman, who is now Consulting Engineer of the Company, is the son of Major Wilson, the engineer who originally laid out the road.

Daily Local News,
Source: CCHS

May 11, 1879 COMMENCED WORK – The contractors commenced to straighten the Pennsylvania Railroad east of Downingtown at Baldwins. There will be a deep cut near the Valley Bridge, the excavation from which will be used in filling up the ravine over which the bridge crosses, and the latter will be done away with entirely. The new road crosses the bridge diagonally about the centre, under which will be built a large culvert. The cost of the work of straightening this portion of the road will be not less than $1,000,000.

Daily Local News,
Source: CCHS

May 23, 1879 PUSHING AHEAD – The work of straightening the Pennsylvania Railroad track through Chester county is progressing with much systematic speed, and will not require nearly the time that was thought of. This work of improvement at and about Thorndale goes forward with unceasing activity, and the scene is one which fairly portrays the go-aheadaivences of that world-renowned corporation.

Daily Local News,
Source: CCHS

November 15, 1879 The Estimated Cost of Relaying the W.C. Branch of the P.R.R. - The estimated cost of relaying the West Chester Branch of the Pennsylvania Railroad from West Chester to Frazer, independent of straightening the curves and damages for property, is as follows: The rails are 30 feel long and weigh 600 pounds, or 60 pounds to the yard; it takes therefore 112 feet of rail to make a ton of 2240 pounds; the steel rails cost about $45 a ton. There being 1760 yards in a mile and the distance to Frazer being 6½ miles or 11,440 yards, it would take for a single continuous line of rail 306 tons of rail, and for two rails 612 tons, which would cost $27,540. It takes 2400 ties to the mile at a cost of 50 cents a tie, which would be for the whole distance 15,600 ties at a cost of $7,800. The estimated cost for labor, relaying new rails, ties and ditching alongside of track is $400 per mile, which would cost for the whole distance $2600. The stone ballast costs, laid, about $1 a perch, and a perch will only ballast 2 feet of track ; there are 34,320 feet of track from here to Frazer, which would cost $17,160. This would make the total cost for renewing and improving the road bed, independent of damages and altering of curves, of $55,100.

The Jeffersonian
Source: CCHS

August 24, 1880 Contract Awarded - John Grant, of this borough, has received a contract to remove 60,000 yards of dirt between Merion and Wayne stations on the P.R.R. This will enable the company to lay four tracks between those points. This they intend to continue, we understand, to Harrisburg. This will be a great convenience. Two of these tracks will be used exclusively for passenger travel, and the others for freight.

Daily Local News,
Source: CCHS

October 1, 1880 Improvements at Wayne. – L.T. Brooke, of Radnor, is still buying up land in the vicinity of Wayne Station for Messrs. Drexel and Childs of Philadelphia. The intention of the latter is, we learn, to erect handsome houses in that vicinity or dispose of the property to those who will. On Thursday, President Roberts [of the Pennsylvania Railroad] was at Wayne at their request to see about the erection of an addition to the station house.

Daily Local News

Greg Prichard of the Radnor Historical Society observes that it was here apparent that the PRR was considering adding onto the then-station at Wayne (which was later moved in 1884 to become today’s Strafford Station) before deciding to build a new, larger station (which still stands).

October 2, 1880 Straightening of the P.R.R. – It is the supposition that the Pennsylvania Railroad Company will soon begin straightening the road at this point. This week engineers have been surveying the new route and several contractors have been visiting here for the purpose of viewing the ground before handling in their bids. – Malvern Item.

Daily Local News

January 7, 1881 Straightening the Road We learn that the Pennsylvania Railroad Company have in contemplation the straightening of their road from near Eagle station to Paoli, which will go south of the village of Berwyn.

The Jeffersonian

This did not happen - MB

May 3, 1881 The Pennsylvania Railroad’s Additional Tracks. – Work is rapidly proceeding on a considerable portion of the two additional tracks of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company between Philadelphia and Paoli. The contractors are at work in the vicinities of Wynnewood, Ardmore and Elm Stations. The heaviest work is at or near near Elm Station, a great portion of the cutting below the station being through solid rocks from twenty to twenty-five feet thick, while above the station a ravine sixty or seventy feet deep is being filled up. When these additional tracks are laid, they will be used exclusively for passenger trains, and the two present north tracks for freight trains. These new tracks will allow the company to run additional local trains and avoid the detention incident to slow-moving freight trains on the same tracks.

Daily Local News

May 11, 1881 Straightening the P.R.R. – Our townsman John Grant, has a large force of workmen engaged on the contract near Ardmore, and is removing large quantities of earth. Samuel Lemon, commenced operations on the contract adjoining, on Monday last. Contractor Smith, who has a section west of Bryn Mawr, was engaged yesterday in erecting shanties, and will commence work soon on the Bryn Mawr cut.

Daily Local News

June 11, 1881 Four Tracks – Engineers of the Pennsylvania Railroad Company are now at work surveying in the vicinity of Malvern for four tracks, which will extend from Philadelphia to the bridge near Reeve’s store, at Malvern, from thence to the station at that place.

Daily Local News (West Chester)