Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Home : Tredyffrin History : Railroads : Main Line Use the links at left of the article to return. |
Eagle Track Section - east of Devon Station to Eagle Station |
January 7, 1881 Bench, Bar and Jury
The third week of the special term began this morning, with Judge Futhey on the bench. A few necessary matters of a formal nature were brought up and disposed of. The jury was called and a small number of jurymen were excused upon showing good reasons. The trail of cases upon the list was resumed, beginning with:
Johanna Latch and Adoniham Latch, devised under the last will and testament of Peter R. Latch, deceased, verses John Quigley. - Peter R. Latch was the owner was the owner of a farm in Tredyffrin township, on which the Pennsylvania Railroad Company straightened their track in 1877, and dismantled the old road bed. Peter R. Latch devised the property to the plaintiffs. In 1879 the Latchs fenced in the abandoned road bed on their property with one of their adjoining fields. The claim is that this old track reverted back to the owners after being disused by the railroad company. John Quigley, who was employed by the company, tore down the fence. It was immediately re-erected and again torn down by Quigley. In this way, the name Quigley appears on the records as defendant, but the real defendant is the railroad company. The question, which is largely one of loss, is chiefly whether, when the State built the old Philadelphia and Columbia railroad (whose franchises now belong to the Pennsylvania Railroad Company) acquired the fee simple to the road-bed or only a right of way. On trial, Brinton and Waddell for plaintiff; Smith and Butler for defendant.
June 23, 1881
The Pennsylvania Railroad Company are now engaged in building four tracks from Philadelphia to Malvern. The two on the south side of the road will be used exclusively for freight trains, and the two on the north side for passengers. This will necessitate the removal of some of the stations on the road, two of them being very fine ones – the one at Bryn Mawr and the other at Ardmore. 1883 - During this year the third track on the Philadelphia Division was extended from Beaumont to Devon … The alignment was greatly improved … at Eagle. |