Tredyffrin Easttown Historical Society Home : Tredyffrin History : Railroads : Main Line Use the links at left of the article to return. |
Devon |
“Early the next year, on February 11, 1882, ground was broken for the famous Devon Inn. It was primarily of the Queen Anne style, with a super-structure of stone and the rest of wood. Most rooms were double the size of those in other hotels, some with 16-foot ceilings. It opened for the first season six months later on August 16. As the guests departed that first season, on October 21 the Pennsylvania Railroad announced it would build a new and elegant passenger station on a site opposite the Inn, approximately 100 yards west of the one then in service.
Original Devon Station
From the TEHS Archives 1927 Dallin photo of the first Devon Station (building in the upper right), courtesy of Hagley Museum 15th September 1881 Contract signed by William Burns for a new station to be built one mile west of Eagle Station [2]. 20th June 1882, Improving the station at Devon The Pennsylvania Railroad Company have concluded to dig a well and fix up the station building at Devon suitable for a family to live in, and will also make it a ticket office instead of a flag station, as at present. A petition has also been forwarded to “the powers that be,” at Washington, to establish a post-office at that place, or to remove the one at Eagle Station to that point. Messrs. Coffin and Altemus will also have telegraph wires run to the station for the use of the guests at their new hotel. In case the new road that has been asked for at that place is granted, a new and handsome station house will be built.
Second Devon Station in 1907, TEHS Archives Second Devon Station in 1912 (colorized postcard), TEHS Archives Notes and References
|